State-of-the-art facility steps up success for Global Seafood Australia Ltd
Global Seafood Australia Limited is one of Queensland’s largest processors and wholesalers of seafood products.
Wiley was engaged to design and construct a 3,600m2 state-of-the-art office and processing complex at Colmslie in Brisbane.
The new facility was to replace its existing plant and required to house factory, storage and processing areas, office space on suspended mezzanine flooring, and 1,000m2 of freezers.
The growing business needed efficient processing lines, larger cool storage rooms and distribution hard stand areas incorporated in the new facility.
- Designing to accommodate settlement of poor ground made up of marine silts
- Simultaneously managing shutdown of the existing facility and installation of new equipment, and working in conjunction with the client’s refrigeration contractor
- Ensuring minimal loss of productivity during the relocation to the new plant
- Designing the facility for durability and ease of maintenance
- Fast tracking the project to suit seasonal product demands and to achieve a seven-month project turnaround.
- Cooperation with Global Seafood and Port of Brisbane (landowner) to achieve viable design options
- Participation in a ‘tripartite’ arrangement with Global Seafood and Port of Brisbane to meet the obligations of the lease agreement between both parties and to help facilitate a successful project outcome.
- Design of a fully piled suspended floor slab for the facility, with all drainage and under-floor services suspended from it with stainless steel rods to avoid problems of ground settlement
- Inclusion of a bollard and guardrail system for a large section of the insulated panel bulkhead to alert forklift drivers to potential contact with the bulkhead
- Use of floor wastes and new stainless steel grates, baskets and secondary strainers to support proper cleaning procedures
- Use of Wiley-developed PVC coving in non-forklift traffic areas
- Working with the client to finalise the design and equipment layout.
- Management of the shutdown of the existing facility and the installation of new process equipment with minimal loss of productivity.
- Application of fast track strategies to meet seasonal product demands and to conclude the project within seven months.
This high quality, multi-purpose facility allows Global Seafood to continue to improve its domestic and export market shares into the future.