Wiley innovates efficient new boning room for Gundagai Meat Processors
Gundagai Meat Processors (GMP) is a leading lamb processor who supplies exclusively to Coles Supermarkets.
GMP has expanded steadily to continue to meet Coles order requirements. Following the development of a site master plan by Wiley, GMP identified the need to expand their boning room.
GMP previously managed projects with a combination of in-house responsibilities and consultants. They moved to a Wiley approach of single point of responsibility for building and process.
- Design for future expansion
- Cope with space restrictions in the boning room
- Improve ergonomics, Occupational Health and safety and materials handling
- Tight timeframe of project to meet Coles deadlines for change-overs.
- A boning room concept consistent with the master plan developed by Wiley.
- Various design options for the boning room layout with 3D virtual modelling
- Developed innovative tote handling system never used previously in the meat industry
- Building extension to accommodate an expanded boning room.
- Design, tendering and procurement of conveyors, including an innovative hygienic overhead conveyor
- Preparation of specifications for PLC programs
- Coordination of major contractors.
- Supervision of construction & process subcontractors
- Manage interface with existing operations
- Responsibility for trim, cost and quality parameters.
Wiley delivered an innovative new boning room capable of a quick 4 day change-over period. This enhanced efficiency ensures GMP can keep pace with Coles order requirements.
The Wiley developed tote handling system is a first for the meat industry and also allows the client to sync with Coles supply chain decision to move away from cartons to packing into totes.