Carving out a Japanese market share for OSI International Foods Australia
OSI International Foods Australia, part of OSI Industries Inc., is a world leader in providing products and solutions for the food industry.
Wiley was contracted to design and construct a 3,500m2 processing plant primarily for production of a new, innovative raw meat pattie specially designed for the Japanese market using new manufacturing processes and ingredients.
The processing plant was to be constructed within an existing building in Murarrie, Brisbane on a fast track program of four months.
- Fast tracking the project to meet deadlines of OSI and its Japanese counterpart
- Meeting constantly changing requirements during design and construction
- Undertaking design and construction in parallel
- Negotiating with utilities providers to meet operational requirements
- Designing for hygienic separation of raw and cooked processes
- Complying with the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service’s standards for export products
- Overcoming limitations in the design of the existing building
- Designing for future expansion.
- Recommendations to overcome limitations of existing building design
- Development of a tight four-month project management program to fast track the project.
- Design of effective and hygienically separate materials flows, product flows and people flows
- Design for efficient truck access
- Inclusion of staff amenities within the facility design
- Upgrade of fire services, including new VESDA
- Incorporation of design changes to coordinate with process.
- Coordination of equipment suppliers’ service/utility requirements
- Coordination of all mechanical, electrical, process and pipe services within the building envelope and structure
- Coordination of equipment suppliers’ installation programs.
- Application of fast tracking strategies, including delivering design and construction services in parallel
- A high degree of on-site coordination between process support services and building elements
- Incorporation of changes and client requests
- Construction within an existing building envelope.
Wiley delivered an efficient meat pattie processing plant that allows OSI International Foods Australia to process a specific style of meat pattie, for Japanese consumers.
This facility allows the client to carve out a share of the product’s $208 million market.