Australian Country Choice and Coles step into the future
Australian Country Choice (ACC) is a vertically integrated supply chain organisation dedicated to the supply of high quality beef and veal products to Coles Supermarkets and other export customers maintaining a plate to paddock philosophy.
Part of the Coles supply chain strategy was to create a new retail ready meat packing facility for Queensland and Northern New South Wales region. Wiley was commissioned to provide an integrated approach which included responsibility for process and building construction.
The project involved demolition of disused chillers for construction of the new facility to accommodate automated storage, cutting and trimming, tray packing and sealing, labelling and carton packing areas.
- First major installation of dual frequency RFID in Australia
- First installation of read write dual frequency RFID chip in the world
- Custom designed tote for use through complete supply chain from processor to supermarket
- ASRS crane system designed for 16 tote carrying capacity at one time
- Ergonomically designed ultra-hygienic trimming stations with adjustable height and left or right configuration
- Hygienic positive drive non-modular belts used for product conveyors
- Custom designed packing tables featuring automatic presentation of trays to operators seal areas covered to avoid contamination, automatic supply of raw material in totes
- In-built accumulator between packing and seal machines for maximum labour utilisation during short stops
- Unique production scheduler to maximise labour efficiency by linking tasks at each labour department
- High speed labellers with two camera vision system to check label position and bar code readability and date accuracy.
- Conceptual designs and modelling of process to meet Coles’ operational objectives to efficiently process beef, pork and lamb in 16 different tray sizes labelled to store
- Advice on total project budgets for process and buildings.
- In-house design and documentation
- Design management of specialist services consultants
- Coordination of statutory approvals.
- Process design including ergonomics
- Project management of process including assessment, tendering and procurement
- Design review according to HAZOP principles
- Operator training program
- Commissioning management.
- Demolition of existing structures whilst maintaining elevated enclosed staff access corridor for the total site
- Viewing galleries and 28 camera CCTV viewing system to view all areas of the process
- Tendering, contracting and construction management of all trade subcontractors.
A unique processing facility designed to cater for a diverse product range unmatched in retail ready plants throughout Europe and the U.S.A.
The project incorporated leading edge technology for labour efficiency, ergonomics, automation and process technology.