New facility puts Haverick Meats at the cutting edge
Haverick Meats is a privately owned specialist further processor and supplier of meat products to a diverse customer base including award-winning restaurants and five-star hotels, conference venues, international luxury cruise ships and leading airlines.
Haverick Meats contracted Wiley to source, design and build their new meat processing facility as business growth meant they had outgrown their Botany site and needed to move and upgrade.
The location of the facility was critical to their operation to ensure rapid response to customer orders in Sydney city and the airport.
An existing building was located in Banksmeadow, Australia, that could provide a shell for their new processing operation.
- Designing a layout for an efficient fit-out within a tight existing building while achieving a high standard of hygiene and product quality
- Negotiating innovative solutions with AQIS due to existing conditions
- Working in with structural constraints of the existing building
- Leading the client through the transition between ‘butcher shop’ operation to ‘meat processor’ style operation.
- Assistance in assessing potential sites
- Concept and budget planning to determine scope of fit-out
- AQIS negotiations considering constraints with existing building.
- Complete design of the facility incorporating process room, chillers, freezer, packaging store, receivals and despatch area, expanded amenities, test kitchen and a high quality office fit-out (with Haverick’s interior designer) to reflect Haverick’s quality products
- Designs to maximise the ‘cube’ space of the existing building with new mezzanine floors for amenities and mechanical equipment
- Negotiation and management of local authority approvals including alternative fire escape solution and reverse-in truck access onto the site
- Custom designed system and management of order picking to satisfy FIFO (First In First Out), ergonomics, and visibility for product identification requirements
- Engineered solution for ground level loading and unloading truck seals complying with AQIS.
- Coordination for set-out of relocated and new process equipment.
- Extensive upgrades of utilities to convert the warehouse building into an export accredited meat processing plant. This included a new gas supply for water heater, demolition of floors for freezer floor construction and the installation of drainage, and electrical upgrades (with two feeds) to the site.
- High level of security including access controls between areas and CCTV
- Careful engineering and construction due to the structural design of the existing building concrete walls and footings
- Complete responsibility for all construction activities including procurement, supervision of sub-contractors, site safety, cost planning and reporting.
Wiley converted a warehouse building into an export accredited meat processing plant through a high quality design and fit-out.
This new facility upgraded Haverick’s operation from a ‘butcher shop’ style to a ‘meat processor’ style and ensures they will continue to meet strong business growth in the inner Sydney market.