Complete Services Coordination advances Sun Valley (Thailand) Ltd
Sun Valley (Thailand) Ltd, part of the Cargill Group, is an international supplier of poultry products.
Wiley was contracted to design and project manage the construction of a new 7,000m2 poultry further processing plant in Saraburi, Thailand. Coordination of the building structure, process services, and building services was critical to the facility’s long-term operational requirements.
Sun Valley chose Wiley to provide services coordination for two main reasons:
- No individual consultant would take professional responsibility for drawing all project components (building structure, process services and building services) or for revising drawings as requirements or specifications change. This level of involvement from a single consultant is uncommon in the industry
- A facility of this complexity demands logical sequencing of all construction activities and installation of process equipment and services, to ensure the right materials are installed in the right location in the right order at the right time.
Wiley was contracted to take a global view of the project and to coordinate the building structure, process services and building services for a quality outcome.
- Integrating all project components to completion
- Establishing design parameters for special structural requirements in the very early stages of design, before process, refrigeration, and building mechanical and electrical systems were designed
- Coordinating steel fabrication workshop drawings while process, refrigeration, and building mechanical and electrical systems were being designed.
Wiley managed a project team of 15 consultants and contractors to coordinate the services for the Sun Valley plant. It delivered to the client all the benefits of services coordination, including:
- The capacity to support multiple services on common support systems rather than on the individual support systems of each contractor, which led to cost savings
- An assurance that the structure was adequate to support the weight of equipment and pipe work
- An assurance of sufficient space in the facility to accommodate services
- Central control of all project components, with a single point of responsibility
- Logical sequencing of all construction activities and the installation of process equipment and services for efficient project delivery
- Good access to and around services for safety, maintenance and future changes.
The Wiley approach to services coordination had many benefits for Sun Valley:
- An efficient facility with good access for safety and maintenance
- Fast tracked construction with effective project control
- No need for re-work to correct costly mistakes
- Satisfaction of the brief.
The poultry further processing plant puts Sun Valley ahead of its competitors in terms of hygiene and food safety and allows it to cater for the expanding Asian and European markets.