Wiley puts Bundaberg Brewed Drinks on the fast track
Bundaberg Brewed Drinks is one of Queensland’s leading beverage manufacturers. Their traditionally brewed soft drinks are exported to New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom, Asia and the Middle East.
Bundaberg Brewed Drinks approached Wiley to fast track three projects to enhance and expand the company’s existing product handling and distribution.
The projects involved:
- Re-supporting and extending a truck loading canopy roof to remove building columns so that two B-double trucks can be loaded at the same time (instead of one)
- Constructing an overhead conveyor bridge 52 metres long with a clear span of 23 metres above the truck loading area for conveying all finished product cartons to a new robotic palletiser so that forklifts no longer have to cross the truck loading area to take full pallets to the warehouse
- Removing an internal warehouse column for more efficient use of warehouse space
- Minimise disruption to existing factory operations during construction
- Work within limited locations and space for the new support structure.
- A structural design concept to minimise the impact of the new roof support structure
- A work sequence to minimise disruption to production and loading operations
- Advice to the conveyor installer on the optimum route through the existing building structure.
- Design of an ‘above roof’ structure to re-support the existing and expanding truck loading canopy roof. After removing obtrusive existing columns, the effect is a roof supported by ‘sky hooks’
- Design of an overhead conveyor bridge which could be safely assembled on the ground and lifted into place.
- Project management to complete the construction in six weeks. The main steel was erected and sequenced over a weekend to minimise disruption to truck loading operations.
Wiley adapted the existing building structure to provide Bundaberg Brewed Drinks with a more flexible and open logistics space.
Fast-tracking these three projects improved the company’s product handling and distribution to meet current and future demand.