Commanding corporate office for Caloundra City Council
Caloundra City Council is the local government authority for Caloundra on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.
Wiley was engaged to design and construct a new administration building for the Council’s administrative staff. The new 6,500m2 three-storey building was to meet the current and future needs of the Council, which serves a municipality within one of Australia’s fastest growing regions.
Wiley was to work closely with the Council’s project group, which sought maximum involvement in all stages of the project.
Operating in an environment of some political and community opposition to the construction of the facility, made more pronounced by Council elections during the project.
- Establishment and management of a Project Control Group to provide open communication, timely input by all parties, rigorous project management and quality control and active client involvement over the life of the project
- Provision of the total project cost at the beginning of the project
- Provision of a single point of responsibility for all aspects and stages of the project
- Master planning of the precinct in which the facility was to be built, including input to design options for integrating the new building with the town’s civic centre, library and parkland, all situated nearby.
- Consultation with Council representatives to achieve a suitable design for a quality building that provides three levels of office space and a 1.600m2 car park in a basement area
- Value engineering of the consultant’s design to achieve best value at lowest cost, in line with priorities and performance expectations and with a focus on low running and maintenance costs
- Design of the building façade to give a strong street presence.
- Project management to complete the facility on schedule
- Competitive tendering of subcontracts which satisfied local government tendering policies.
An impressive local government administration facility, which meets the current and future needs of Caloundra City Council and serves as a good example of the value of Wiley signature tools: the Project Control Group, single point responsibility, and early provision of the total project end cost.